Mid Level Software Developer Software Engineer Flight Controls Featured
- San Diego, California
- Annual Salary
- Job ID
Mid Level Software Developer Software Engineer Flight Controls job at General Atomics in San Diego CA
Description, duties, responsibilities
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA-ASI) an affiliate of General Atomics is a world leader in proven reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity to work as a Software Developer in our Engineering group in Poway CA.
Under general supervision with limited review this position will design and develop autopilot software for unmanned air vehicles. Focus is on real-time closed-loop control using the C language. Will document all aspects of code development including requirements analysis detailed design and testing. Testing includes use of Python and VectorCAST tools. May occasionally be required to support testing at the flight test facilities. Programming in both Linux and Windows environments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determine user requirements and specifications and plan for software development within the broader organizational scope.
- Formulate detailed plans/design for the implementation of software solutions on specific programs or projects.
- Implementation of design including coding testing and documentation.
- Code maintenance including debugging and updating to keep pace with the evolving environment and standards.
- Assist in planning for future applications based on new developments in computer technology.
- Communicate with software developers with users and with management.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Responsible for observing all laws regulations and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company. Expected to work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Other duties assigned as required.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree masters degree or PhD in computer science information systems or a related discipline and progressive software development experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a masters degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education. Computer Engineering degree preferred.
- Must have a complete understanding of software development concepts principles and theory and demonstrate complete understanding and application of programming and analysis concepts. Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment. Ability to organize schedule and coordinate work phases and determine the appropriate approach at the task level or with assistance at the project level and to provide solutions to a range of complex problems. Must have strong communication computer documentation presentation and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; and lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks. Able to work extended hours as required.
- Strong "C" programming capability required.
- Must be able to interface effectively with other engineers of various disciplines including flight controls design engineers.
- Must be able to interpret debug and modify complex legacy software following GA process and coding standards.
- Seeking experience developing software in a CMMI or DO-178 structured environment.
- Seeking experience in the use of Matlab and interpretation of block diagrams (e.g. PID control system).
- Seeking an understanding of transfer functions and discrete time systems.
- Seeking familiarity with autopilot and navigation systems and aeronautical terminology.
- Candidates with a degree in aerospace electrical math physics or computer science are all welcome.
Security Clearance: Desired
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
General Atomics Company Overview
General Atomics and affiliated companies are world renowned leaders in developing high-technology systems ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to electromagnetic systems; remotely piloted aircraft systems; airborne sensors; advanced electronic wireless and laser technologies; and biofuels. If youre ready to advance your career and work on transformational technology join our team.