Program Manager Mechanical Systems Featured
- San Diego, California
- Annual Salary
- Job ID
Program Manager Mechanical Systems job at General Atomics in San Diego CA
Description, duties, responsibilities
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA-ASI) an affiliate of General Atomics is a world leader in proven reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
This position reports to the MQ-25 program manager and is responsible for the mechanical systems of the aircraft to include landing gear tail hook and various actuation systems. He/she is the principle conduit between program office and engineering team. This person will lead a team of both subcontractors and company manufacturing organizations from program inception through delivery. Must apply standard program management principles theories concepts and techniques to provide solutions to a variety of technical problems. Typically accomplishes objectives through subordinate managers. This person will be responsible for decisions that could impact outcomes where erroneous decisions could cause serious schedule delays and expenditure of additional time and resources.
- Manage activities for mechanical systems project(s) including planning and managing the technical design to align to performance objectives and ensure quality and effectiveness for aircraft systems
- Documents findings and implemented solutions and communicates results to technical staff or subcontractor
- Participate in and coordinate the establishment of design concepts requirements and engineering efforts for product research development testing and integration.
- Interact internally with engineering team and/or with suppliers vendors or customers to share information and for basic problem resolution. Will act as primary contact for engineering activities.
- Provide direction to design or technical staff for development of source control drawings
- Assists in preparing technical documents for mechanical components and systems.
- Act as advisor to engineering team regarding projects tasks and operations and acts as a liaison to other functions.
- Responsible for managing technical development and sustainment with sub-component subcontractors
- Expected to develop detail design specifications based on internally derived requirements and applicable industry specifications and generate external statements of work to detail program technical requirements
- Collaborate with program engineering manufacturing and quality teams to develop solutions that meet system level requirements.
- Collaborate with Program Management and Subcontract Administrators in generating request for proposals and purchase requisitions
- Interface with the subcontractors technical staff manages recurring technical meetings and/or reviews and supports testing on subcontractor site(s) as required
- Handle all project details including requirement derivation conceptualization detail design analysis project oversight manufacturing support and sustaining support
- Ensure implementation of system requirements throughout system development process through the development of project plans and project control of the integration verification and validation of aircraft systems through flight test.
- Develop and maintain program plans estimates and schedules; Provides direction to design or technical staff and may lead a project team
- Identify engineering issues and provide leadership in developing solutions such as technical decisions re-allocation of resources or modifying contract specifications
- Generate presentations engineering memos and test plans/procedures and reports.
- Coordinate activities across multi-disciplinary teams and report on progress and plan forward.
- Strong communication presentation and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals.
- Multitasking team player with a hands-on approach; experienced in formulating plans to resolve technical problems.
- Represent organization at technical and programmatic reviews and meetings.
- Typically requires a Bachelors Masters or PhD in engineering science or a related technical field as well as eleven or more years of progressively complex program administration experience with at least five of those years managing programs. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- Demonstrates technical expertise and application of program management principles concepts and practice as well as program management and leadership skills including organizing planning scheduling and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must be able to develop solutions to problems that require coordination of technologies across program requirements. Strong communication leadership presentation and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with other departments all levels of management professional and support staff customers potential customers and government representatives.
- Customer focused must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- Must be able to obtain and hold a Secret security clearance.
- Experience in the design and integration of mechanical products and assemblies. Experience in managing large and complex aircraft or Naval Aviation programs is desirable.
Security Clearance: Yes
Travel Percentage: 0% - 25%
General Atomics Company Overview
General Atomics and affiliated companies are world renowned leaders in developing high-technology systems ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to electromagnetic systems; remotely piloted aircraft systems; airborne sensors; advanced electronic wireless and laser technologies; and biofuels. If youre ready to advance your career and work on transformational technology join our team.